Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Caramelicious...

Today was a fun day for our Feingold following kiddos :)  I have been feeling bad about our kids not being able to eat wonderful apple filled items this fall so I decided to give them some special fall treats that are Feingold approved!!!  The first wonderful treat that I made was caramel popcorn!!!  I visited with a wonderful friend yesterday and she showed me how to make popcorn on the stovetop!!!  I don't know why I had never done it before, but I decided to make it with a wonderful carmel drizzle!!!  I found a wonderful recipe from Kelly the Kitchen Kop and adapted it to our own.  You can find Kelley the Kitchen Kop's recipe here. Enjoy!!!

Ann's Feingold Friendly Carmel Popcorn

Stovetop Popcorn:
  • 1/4 c. butter (I use butter instead of oil, because it is better for you.)
  • Enough popcorn to make the bottom of the pan one kernel deep
  • Turn stove to Medium high, cover with lid and gently shake the pan until it is finished popping. (This can take a few minutes)
  • Vent the lid to let the steam escape as necessary.  (I use a vented lid)
  • When the kernels stop popping, dump the popcorn into a bowl.
Caramel Topping:
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or Sucanat (I prefer sucanat for the extra nutrients)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Put all of the ingredients into a small saucepan and stir continuously on medium high heat.
  • Once the syrup comes to a boil, continue stirring while it boils for an additional two minutes.
  • Immediately drizzle the caramel over the popcorn and stir to cover as many kernels as possible.
  • YUM!!!
The next treat I made was to replace the beloved caramel apples.  I found a wonderful deal on Bartlett Pears this week and made caramel pears!!! I found a recipe for caramel that did not use corn syrup and used it for our pears. I would post the recipe on my site, but I loved how she posted some videos along with the recipe and I didn't feel I could do it justice by simply putting a recipe on here :)  We used sucanat instead of brown sugar and used pears instead of apples.  It was a great treat, but one tip I wish I would have figured out was to grease the wax paper!!!  Enjoy the recipe link for the Caramel Apples, old timey style here.



"Then God said, 'Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.' And it was so." -Genesis 1:11

0 comments:

Post a Comment